Sunday, September 11

33. Waiting for Godot

Book 33: Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett (B-)

I was required to read this book, like the last, for my British Literature class. This one I did not enjoy as much. I wonder if I would have understood it better if I were British...
The reason it gets a high-ish grade is because you become so endeared to the characters even if you have no idea what's going on. It is written as a screenplay... "a tragicomedy in two acts." It wasn't funny though. I think the humor comes in if you have the opportunity to see the play acted out by actors on stage. The script itself however is rather confusing and flat.
It's supposed to be an allegory. I don't understand allegories. My one help was the pencil scrawling of notes in the margins by whoever had the book last. To him or her, I am extremely grateful.
If anyone understands what this text is talking about, please comment before Wednesday when I have a quiz on it!!! Because as of right now... I'm at a complete loss for words. I have no idea what's going on, who the two main characters are talking about, and WHO IS GODOT? Does anybody know? Does he even exist???
...I'm so confused!

No comments: