Wednesday, October 17

Pumpkin Pie Pudding

In the style of the other family conversation I wrote about, here is what happened on Tuesday afternoon at my grandparents' house. Pawpaw baked me a pumpkin pie for my birthday, and there was an interesting conversation that followed! KFC buckets litter the dining room table. Pawpaw and I are scarfing down delicious pie.

Pawpaw: You can buy that pizza crust in a package like a cookie thing. You just add hot water to it and mix it up and let it sit.

Stuart: I know what you're talking about. We haven't done it.

Pawpaw: It will almost make a 12 inch, but I think it call for a 10 inch to make it right, but it still - as thin as I pressed that out - it was still a real thick crust on it.

Stuart: You ever seen that, baby?

Me: Mm, no!

Stuart: It's like a... yeah, it's like a dough. You just add water to and mix it together.

Pawpaw: I think it's Betty Crocker. It's about like a (holds up his hands) about that size!

Stuart: We did make pizza at home awhile ago. It turned out really good. We just got the Pillsbury dough in a can, you know, and popped it open and pressed it out onto a rectangular baking sheet, and it turned out pretty good. She liked it. I was actually surprised. We just used the same --- are you making a video?

Me: (whisper) Yeah.

Stuart: Ok. We just used the same...

Pawpaw: This is good! You can almost call this pumpkin pudding with crust!! Good, good, good!

Me: Well, if you had put it in the fridge! It didn't have to be pudding!

Nanny: I don't know why he didn't.

Pawpaw: What?
Nanny: Put that in the fridge!

Stuart: Well, mine's going in the fridge. I like my pumpkin pie cold!

Pawpaw: I just done the cooking. I can't think of everything!

Nanny: Everything he cooks falls apart.

Me: Just like the lasagna.

Nanny: Mhmm!

Papaw: (To Stuart) Put it in the freezer!

Nanny: And the meatloaf. Even though I mix it up and put it in the oven, he'll take it out and cannot wait two seconds for it to cool before he cuts it, and then you got one meatball mess to eat and it makes me ill! (Points at me) Uh oh! She's got taking ---

Me: Oh! No!

Nanny: I SEE THE GREEN LIGHT!

Pawpaw: Green light!

Stuart: She's learned not to mess with my cooking. She's learned to stay out of the kitchen.

Pawpaw: It's a good thing I've got a spoon!

Nanny: (To Stuart) Well, it's different. You two aren't married. I can't get rid of him!

Pawpaw: It is good though, wasn't it? Regardless, it's good! You want another piece?
Me: I ain't finished yet!

Stuart: So?

Me: (To Pawpaw) You want another piece?

Pawpaw: Not yet! I'm gonna put it in the freezer cause it's still warm.

Nanny: Well, no wonder it fell apart. Now we know.

Pawpaw: Meh, I'll stick it in the freezer!

No comments: