Friday, December 17

Another Semester Down

Ice is on the driveway. Final grades are being emailed in (3 A's so far!). The C-Store has been cleaned out! It's that time of year again: the end of another semester.
The end between the spring and winter semesters is starkly different. In the spring, you will NOT find food in the C-store. Points on Cat Cards do not roll over from the spring to winter semester but they do roll over from winter to spring. Thus, everyone who hates Western Carolina U runs to the C-Store or their favorite dining hall to burn all their points or otherwise it becomes money for our horrible football team!
At the end of the winter semester, everyone is clogging up Highway 107 trying to get out of the valley before the roads ice over (even further) or it snows (even more!). It is important to get out as fast, as soon, and as stressful as possible.
In the winter semester, everyone is sick. End of argument.
In the spring semester, the parents stick around longer. It's nice and sunny outside. The trees have regained their leaves. The flowers have bloomed. Campus is alive. In the spring, parents make early river rafting reservations, enjoy the town, and go hiking. In winter, it is dead, freezing cold, iced over, depressing, and... unappealing. The only appeal in winter is the plentiful Christmas tree farms in every corner. 
This winter semester is different for me. I have an apartment. I'm not trying to pack everything in my dorm to return home to a real bed, real food, and a real home. I have that now here in Cullowhee. I have my Charlie Brown Christmas tree, my warm bed, my wacko cat Sparta, and Morgan (who will soon be packing up his things and moving back to his hometown to start adult life). I didn't escape and run out of Cullowhee as soon as my last exam was over with... which was 1:30 today which would have sucked if I did still live in the dorm. No, I am staying here for awhile.
I'm going to see my baby graduate tomorrow!!
We're going back to Nick & Nate's for pizza!
We'll probably go to Waffle House another few times.
We're going to recreate our own Christmas!
We're going to cherish our last days together at the apartment and try not to shed any more tears.
Only one thing stands in our way..... MONO!
To be continued....

Sparta out in the snow


No comments: