Thursday, January 6

40 out of 100

When I first began blogging, it didn't take very long for me to want to write but not have any topics to write about. So, I headed to the World Wide Web in search of un-original ideas of what to write about. Soon after I went searching and found some good stuff, life started taking off and I had either lots to post about or not any time to write.
Now that Morgan and I are separated by five hours of driving time, I have ample time on my hands... time that I don't want to use sitting around and thinking. So far, I've cleaned the kitchen, done three loads of laundry, bought groceries, picked up my rental books for classes, gone to the library, reorganized my DVD shelves, reorganized my book shelves, watched two movies, and caught over half of a program on Discovery (by the way - LOVE their new catch phrase: "The world is just awesome"!) about Nostradamus. Now, I will actively participate in Chris Brogan's post "100 Blog Topics I Hope YOU Write." This is number 40.
Ten Guilty Pleasures (in no particular order):
1. Scarves
  This has been a recent development. I've started collecting scarves. I used to think, What's the point? It's a fluffy hangman's noose. Now, scarves are awesome and I love to use them to accentuate an outfit!

2. Snow Globes
  Everyone knows I love snow globes!!! It's why I got two for Christmas and two for my birthday this year!! It's what I crave!! Snow globes just make me happy - to shake something as hard as I want and watch the glitter and snow come tumbling back down on whatever object in a bubble. I love the designs of the base, I love the snow inside, I love the way the water sounds as it sloshes against the glass, I love the ones with "special features" like music and being able to stick pictures inside. The only problem with snow globes as I learned from Sparta is that they are breakable!

3. Teddy Bears
  I love a good teddy bear to squeeze. They're huggable and soft and furry and have cute little ears.

4. Movies
  My first movie in theatres was Disney's Pocahontas. It was 1995, the year Ma was pregnant was Kate. I was so moved by the movie I wanted to name my new baby sister "Indian." Unfortunately for 4-year-old me, it didn't stick but it began my passion for movies of all kinds!! There's nothing I love more than curling up in bed or on the sofa with a blanket, maybe a teddy bear, a bowl of popcorn, a glass of lemonade, and some candy to watch an epic, sad, romantic, or funny movie. It's good for a romantic date. It's good for friends piling together and having a good time. It's a perfect way to pass the time and get out of your story and into someone else's.

5. Small Towns
  I say I'm from Charlotte but technically I live outside of one of North Carolina's major hubs. And while I'm not a fan of the small town I grew up in, I am a fan of small towns in general. The small town I lived in just didn't have enough money to turn themselves into a growing, happy-go-lucky small town like Sylva or Belmont. These two towns have quaint downtown streets with rustic shops and 1900's general stores. Morgan and I went into the Belmont General Store and bought two sodas in glass bottles to drink while looking through the wire yard critters, plethora of flags, and old time bicycles on the ceiling. There are apartments over the shops. There are welcoming flags on the lamp posts fluttering in the breeze. There are smiling people walking their dogs and pushing strollers. You can tell the shopkeeper has been working there since his father worked the place. I just love the vibe!

6. My iPod
  I never knew I'd use my iPod as much as or more than my laptop or cell phone. I hardly leave home without out it! Recently played includes:
"The Only Exception" by Paramore
"Monsters" by Hurricane Bells
"Show me How you Burlesque" by Christine Aguilera
"Beneath the Mire" by Opeth

7. Lemonade
  I've been addicted to the stuff like people are addicted to coffee since becoming a teenager. Don't ask me why. I just love it! For me, it goes with every meal and desserts... except for Oreos.

8. Reese's
  Have you had one? Then you know!

9. Books
  My mom has a home video of me reading Dr. Suess's Are You my Mother when I was four or five. I didn't know how to read, but I had asked Ma and Father to read to me so much that I had memorized every page! There it started and it has continued with Morgan looking at me the other day and saying, "You've read more books than I know about." My favorites include Wuthering Heights, Vulpes the Red Fox, anything by John Irving and Jodi Picoult, and The Hours by Michael Cummingham. They put me into worlds I would have never known and have inspired me to write my own.

10. Holidays
  I love holidays!! And I hate when other people mess mine up! It seems to happen every holiday probably due to my unrealistic, high expectations but every time I have them and they're HIGH! I want majestic fireworks and watermelon on the 4th of July. I want "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," crackling fires, twinkling lights on the Christmas tree, warm blankets, and presents under the tree on Christmas. I want a good, moving church service, a light-colored dress, and dyed boiled eggs on Easter. I demand a creative costume and too much candy on Halloween. I better see something pink on Mother's Day and a tie on Father's Day. And because I've never made it to three months with a boyfriend before, tomorrow will be a holiday for Morgan and me. My high expectations demand him to be home for the holiday!

No comments: