Thursday, January 13

Momentary Break

It's been a whirlwind of a week but then again also very slow. After two days of cancelled classes due to heavy snow, I had my first class of the spring semester: Investigations of Environmental Geology. Before, it had been nothing but watching TV, making snow angels in the snow, and missing Morgan so much it hurt. We Skyped every day and left our web cams online all through the night because I didn't like having to say good bye every night. And boy did we get some snow! I haven't seen that much snow since the blizzard when I was still under 5' 5".
Poor Little Honda is barely visible in the snow
Today I had three classes, two communications for my major and one theatre. And I realized something as I was sitting in the communications classes... I don't want Communications to be my major anymore.
In high school, my journalism teacher was my hero! He was hip, young, inspiring, motivational, and every straight female in school cried the day he got married to his sweetheart because he was that fine! I don't want to say he bullied me into taking Journalism as a major. That's definitely not the right way to put it, but it's the only way I can think of.
Now that I no longer have his guiding hand and wisdom around me every day, I'm losing my confidence and passion for Journalism. Unfortunately, what I really want to do is unavailable at Western Carolina University as a major. Which makes me excited to get outta here and transfer already to a) a university with the major I want, and b) somewhere closer to Morgan.
* * * Momentary Break * * *
I had to break there to drive five hours to Raleigh. Apparently, there's no school Monday, so I decided to take advantage of the situation to visit Morgan. Along the way, I ran out of CDs I wanted to listen to in Little Honda's CD changer so I switched to radio. I'd like to sing the praises of the 96 Rock! What an awesome radio station. First, we heard "Black Betty" followed by a late 80's/early 90's rock ballad with backup singers so hilarious that I laughed out loud. Then, there was Creed followed by "Mississippi Queen" requested by a guy for his ten-year-old son at 9:00 p.m. Little Honda was... ROCKIN'. "Oh my gosh, this station is awesome!" I said out loud as I cruised along I-40 right outside of Raleigh. I hadn't had that much fun in the car since Christian gave Cody his video camera and he, Wes, Jude, and I traveled to Greensboro to see Joe play in his band. That was some epic road adventureness. (Cody is definitely one to have in the car as a passenger. He stays awake the whole trip. He'll never run out of un-interesting topics to discuss. He has the energy of a four-year-old but knows when enough is too much and has so many car games to play!)
But what was I talking about before??
* * *
Oh yeah, I want to change my major. ...Yeah, well... there you go! I want to change my major. Now I only have to survive a whole semester with classes that I no longer need. Oh well!! Sorry, Father. 
In other news... I think my Geology professor is part gorilla, my Speech professor sounds exactly like actor John Malkovich and said, "black people, red people, yellow people" like he was quoting from a Dr. Seuss book, my journalism professor is from Macedonia, and I still haven't had a single Ballroom Dance class. It's only been a week and already, it's been a crazy semester.
I certainly didn't expect any less.

No comments: