Monday, April 11

Half Way There

You know those times when you have a week where everything has to be done, everything is due?! For college students, that is the entire month of April!
On Thursday, Morgan and I celebrated our six-month anniversary!! While we were both very excited about it, it wasn't much of a celebration! There was too much to do. Morgan just got promoted at work. I returned from Raleigh today to work on a group presentation in Speech Communications and I really need to be off-book on my Acting I script. Oh, and I just learned that I have a project due in News Writing on Thursday and I have articles due to The Western Carolinian on Friday. While I was in Raleigh, it seemed all Morgan and I did was try to find me a job for over the summer. And, it's going to be like that all of April.
I'm scared to know what mine and Morgan's relationship will be like when there's not a crisis. When we were together from October to November, we were constantly worrying about what would happen when we were separated along with Kate was in the hospital. In December, I was trying to apply for a transfer to UNCG while Morgan was concentrating on graduating. Then near Christmas, Morgan got bad news about his family that continued to escalate through January and February. In January, we started our long distance relationship, and I returned to an apartment with a flea infestation to battle while Morgan adjusted to apartment living. I applied for a transfer again, this time to UNCG and NC State. Then in March we nearly broke up... twice, because of the long distance and incompatibilities. We spent much of the time crying and/or frustrated at our circumstances. Recently, it's been a battle of getting me a job over the summer and how to move to Raleigh while looking for a house to rent in Greensboro and making sure I transfer successfully in the fall while keeping my grades up and turning in projects on time for my last weeks at Western Carolina. It's a lot!
There's also Sparta to consider. As he has a "lovely" habit of throwing up his food after each bite, I'm constantly hovering over him with a roll of paper towels in my hand. Also, I worry about how the constant traveling will affect him since I no longer feel safe leaving at him at home after he escaped from the apartment twice and was lost in the woods!! I love that cat to death but some days..... I wonder if he's worth the fight. Until.... the week I left Sparta in Raleigh for Morgan to care for because I was returning in a few days. I'd never been so lonely in my apartment! There was no furry face to greet me after class and there was no one to say good night to. There was no obnoxious meowing all day! Losing both Morgan and Sparta... now that's something I can't stand! And, I won't ever do it again!
* * *
The crazy thing is I'm not the only one going through all this mess. Well, I am with the long distance relationship maybe but not with the school work.
My friends are all going through the April Crunch too. I don't know why professors think it's a good idea to escalate work at the end of the semester. Don't they know that everyone else does it too and that we as students no longer have the time or energy to put as much effort into their classes? And it just happens to be the time they assign the most point-worthy assignments, the "Big Ones," the ones that could save or ruin the grade you have or have not been trying to earn. It only makes sense that one of my classes is going to suffer because I'm trying to put attention and time into the others that I have causing me to forget at least one that fell behind.
I saw Jonathan in the library today. He told me he'd been there for nearly four hours straight!
I know some people who have slept in the library overnight because there's just no point in spending 20 minutes that they could be studying or working to walk back to their dorm room.
It's insanity!! And it should be stopped..... but I'm too busy to do anything about it!!!!! I might have just enough time to finish writing this and make a Facebook group for action. If people can overturn the Egyptian government through one, I can take down professors' crazy lesson plans with a Facebook group, too!!!
Go social media!


No comments: