Sunday, April 24

An Open Letter to Stuart

Easter Day, April 24, 2011
Hey baby,
 It's been a crazy day with my family... as all days with my family are. I miss you very much, but I know that even if I was in Raleigh today, we still wouldn't be able to be together because you're so busy at work.
I woke up very early this morning because I had to sleep on the mattress from the couch bed meaning that I actually slept on the floor because you know how awful those springs are. Sparta and I slept in my old room together, which has been turned into a mash-up of mine and Anne's personalities. On the floor, there's an ocean of pink things like Hello Kitties and princess accessories which spell disaster for my feet should I step on them. Then on the walls there are cut-outs of celebrity pictures from Entertainment Weekly and a Cher poster on the ceiling from where I left behind evidence of my living in that room for over ten years.
As you know, everyone speaks here in a loud voice and screams. My Southern accent (which somehow I managed to escape speaking in all while growing up) has arrived on my tongue in the strongest of fashions. It wouldn't be going away until I leave Gaston County again... Gassten Coun'ee. There are a bunch of screams,  barks, and meows. Remington hates Sparta and Sparta hates Remington and Piddy Paws seems pissed at both! Ma talks about the hardships of life and how line dance classes are going. Then she screams about something. Kate talks veryreallyfastandIcan'tkeepup and then screams that Seth pinched her or something. And Anne just screams in general before lapsing into babbling.
Nothing has changed except the size of Remington. He is blossoming into a handsome young cat! His tail is a giant Q-tip of a puffball and his face is round and regal like a lion. He's hardly bullet gray anymore taking on a deep, dark brown and saddle tanish color. But good grief has he gotten HUGE!!
Ma and I went to church this morning to listen to a lovely sermon on the Resurrection.  Shockingly enough, there weren't any extra videos about the crucifixion or any skits.  Typically, my church can get a bit theatrical on holidays but this Easter, nothing but the fog machine during worship hour. Afterwards, we dined at Sonic and got burgers - hers with tots, mine with fries.
Then it was calm until Kate and Anne showed up. I wandered around in the backyard with  Sparta and read a few chapters of Wicked. Then I played Endless Ocean 2 on the Wii for awhile after switching from NetFlix (which I'm now sharing with the family via the Wii system). Last night, I showed everyone Stomp LIVE, which was a huge hit!! We didn't get to watch the whole thing  but I made sure they saw the newspaper bit and the sink part. Anne has now found my  NetFlix and is currently watching the Strawberry Shortcake movie.... help me!!!
When Father showed up with Anne, I ran over to his house to dump Sparta off since he was so upset over being in a house with other cats. Then, I drove back to Mount Holly for the annual egg dying and egg hunting.
  Speaking of driving, Little Honda got an oil change yesterday thanks to Seth and she'll need brand new tires tomorrow. The current tires are completely bald and worn down to the metal. I feel horrible for never noticing and being an official Terrible Car Owner.
I'm missing you and Nutmeg!!! I didn't get nearly enough time to play with the hamster and rest with you before I had to go back to school. Two more weeks, baby, two more weeks!!!!!!
Dinner is a-cookin' and we dine at 6:00-ish. Remington and Piddy Paws have to be locked in the laundry room because they beg for food that badly... more like steal food that craftily. When they were put up for dinner last night, I let Sparta out of the back bedroom and bragged about what a good cat he was. He never tried to grab food once. Kate is peeling the egg shells off of Ma's deviled eggs and later we're going to be enslaved to peel potatoes for her mashed potatoes. I'm sure there will be another chore or two because of this massive ham she's baking. Yes, that's right: ham! As you know I despise ham, so I get to eat corn-on-the-cob and orange sherbet for dessert! Yay for me!! And now Kate has been fired from shelling eggs because apparently she... sucks.
Dinner was a colorful affair of Seth eating everything in sight and making love to the honey glaze on the ham and the rest of us shouting over each  other to pass something or other. It ends calmly with fake Scottish accents and orange sherbet and apple pie. How all three of things go together, I don't know... only at Ma's house.
I best go,  baby!! I'm am so, so proud of you and I can't wait until this summer!!!! It's going to be so great to be with you and Nutmeg with Sparta on a regular basis! One big happy family... with Fox!! :)
Yours,
 Lex

No comments: