Tuesday, April 19

The Tough Romantic Questions Part 3

1. What type of relationship did you have with your parents while growing up?
A very good one. I told my mother everything, like literally everything! I hardly had secrets from her, and things I did keep from her I felt guilty about. I wasn't quite as close with Father. Ma was around Kate and me all the day because she taught at a high school. Her hours were our hours. Father got home later, but he was still a part of the family. When I was young, he and I used to wrestle in the den. It really helped my boundless energy and wild side.

2. How do you get along with your parents now?
Um... not like the above at all. A lot of stuff, a lot of mistakes made and mean things said happened during my high school years. It changed everything and there's no going back. I see my parents now as more of advisers instead of "mommy" and "daddy." I wasn't rebellious or "bad" that led to this estrangement. I never broke a curfew or smoked weed in the backyard with my friends. It was more we butted heads and didn't forgive each other for our own personalities. My mother and I are both very emotional, and not in a weepy way, but I think that caused much strife as I grew into my own person. I was too independent by the time I was in high school to feel like I still needed to be parented and it caused a lot of arguments. But there were other things, too... there are always other unspoken things.

3. Do you enjoy spending time with friends and relatives, or do you prefer to be alone?
If you had asked me this four years ago, I would have told you I enjoyed being alone. I wanted to curl up in front of the fireplace with a book and not be disturbed. I lashed out at anyone who interrupted me while I was writing my latest book. Now, I enjoy the company of others more. I find it to be beneficial and comforting. Though it does depend on whose company I'm keeping...

4. When you spend time with friends, what do you enjoy doing?
I love being outside and being physical. Ultimate Frisbee, hiking, walking the dogs at the animal shelter. I also love Movie Nights. I used to have Bad Horror Movie Night with the boys. Now that we're broken up, I have cinematic movie nights with Chris or with Morgan. I also love doing quiet, individual tasks in the presence of each other. One of my favorite days with Chris was where he camped out in my dorm room the week before exams and we studied, worked, or played Internet games all day only to break to go to the dining hall. That was an awesome day.

5. When you spend time with your family, what do you enjoy doing?
Mad Gab with Ma
Wizard with Father... that's all that needs to be said

6. When there is nothing to do, how do you entertain yourself?
Reading books, writing my book, blogging, Facebooking, and watching movies or TV on NetFlix. NetFlix has gotten me through so many long hours waiting for Morgan to get home from work!


7. Who do you consider your best friend and why is that?
That would be Chris and MK. I can tell them anything and get two completely different responses. They've been there through the good and the bad. We've had fights and we always get back together. They have stood the test of time.
I also consider Morgan to be my best friend but in a different way. Morgan and I might never have been close had we not ended up dating but now that we are, I tell him everything like I would a girlfriend. Nothing is too personal or too silly to tell him. He knows everything that happened to me last year and I know most everything about him and what he's thinking as he's thinking it. I love how open we are with each other.

8. In your past relationships, what led to the breakup?
My first boyfriend broke up with me. We were just meant to be friends, honestly.
The next guy was actually MK. We were never a couple but I honestly thought we would be. Unfortunately, it was he who thought we were meant to be friends and I was forced to stay that way.
The next guy left me for another girl.
The next guy I broke up with because he smoked weed, was clingy, and I realized I didn't love him and I wasn't ever going to love him. It's funny this question came up because I actually spoke to this guy for the first time in a year yesterday. I told him how sorry I was about what happened between us and to please forgive me for what I did and how that affected everything. He was very open to it and gave me a hug at the end of it all. I don't know if I feel better about anything that happened between us, but I feel now that I have no unfinished business left and can move onto to UNC Greensboro confidently and at peace.

9. Have you ever been in a relationship and broke from it by engaging in an affair with another person?
No!

No comments: