Monday, May 2

The End of the Catamount Era

Thursday was my last day of college classes as a Western Carolina University student. This week is just a lot of exams!!
Twister Night
A sadness overwhelmed me on Thursday, to look around and know it was the end. No one could understand. When I texted Morgan that it was my last day, he sent back "Wohoo!" But that wasn't what I was feeling at all. So much has happened in the last two years, so many amazing or horrendous things. I guess you could say they were all amazing in either a good or bad way. Honestly, I couldn't tell you exactly if there was more good than bad or vice versa. I think it was an close equal dose of both.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not regretting my decision to transfer at all! No, I'd never regret that... unless I got to Greensboro and it's a holy disaster, but I'm confident that won't be the case.
But I am sad that I'm leaving behind good friends, a good job, and a beautiful view of the mountains. I wish I could take them with me, except the mountains (at least for Little Honda's benefit).
The following was written for The Western Carolinian in my column "Off Campus Living 101:"
Climbing a tree
"Catamounts, this is not only the last "Off Campus Living 101" article, it is also my last editorial column working for The Western Carolinian.
"I am saddended that for the fall semester I will not be returning to Western Carolina University. Instead, I am transferring to finish out my college career in a place that I hope will bring me new opportunities, new networks, and new experiences. In August, Sparta and I will be moving out of our Cullowhee apartment into a rented house in a quiet suburb to be near one of the UNC mid-state college campuses. It will be a big adjustment for both of us - me to be living in a house and the work that goes into that and Sparta adjusting to living with a Labrador retriever and another cat. It should be interesting!
Honors College Formal
"I wanted to take the time to thank everyone at The Western Carolinian for supporting me and helping me shape and strengthen my writing. When I started as a contributing writer in the Arts and Entertainment section working for free, I never thought I would become News Editor, at least not in the span of less than two years! Also, I would like to thank the readers who would randomly come up to me if they realized who I was to share their excitement about Sparta or my rain boot fiasco last year. You guys were the reason I asked Justin Caudell if I could start "The Freshman Fifteen" and writing that column and this has been my favorite part of my job.

Birthday dinner
"My two years at Western have been nothing less than exciting and dramatic. I have learned so much and grown as a person. College was nothing like what I expected and certainly attending college in the little town of Cullowhee is not for the faint-hearted. The incoming freshman class of 2009 and I have faced being snowed-in over Christmas break, endless rain, power outages, losing a chancellor and gaining a new one, and the invasion of zombies! The experiences I have had and the people I have met will never leave my memory, and I hope to visit on occasion for shows at FPAC, Mountain Heritage Day, and other events that can be found only at Western Carolina..."
In response to my hard work and dedication, I received this award from Justin and The Western Carolinian. I was shocked, thrilled, proud, and sad simultaneously. Thank you to everyone there. This is will always hang on one of my walls:

No comments: