Monday, May 23

14. The Wind in the Willows

Book 14: The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (The Great Illustrated Classics version) (B-)

One person's junk is another's treasure. This was one of my favorite books growing up. My mom found it in a trash can outside of a store in perfect condition! She dusted it off and brought it home to me where I read it again and again.
However, I now find the book to be slightly annoying with Toad constantly bragging about himself and deciding to be good then bragging and sobbing again. The reason I loved the book so much as a kid is because of the mysterious character of Mr. Badger who seems to be a gruff, scary individual until the reader and the characters in the story really get to know him. Rather a friendly creature, Mr. Badger just detests society.
This book was not as good as I remember it being from when I was a kid. The second half of the book is always a drag with Toad of Toad Hall wallowing in his own self pity while stealing cars and horses. He's kind of like that rabbit in Triss that I detested so much!
Still, a good classic that should be read to kids again and again!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have read "The Wind in the Willows" every spring for 19 years. It always cheers me up. Grahame writes with such sensitivity and understanding of the little animals he ortrays. I know now I shall never tire of the book