Monday, December 12

Trending Topic

I'm the kind of person who doesn't obsess with the most popular media craze at the time, waits a few years, then falls in love with it. And it's completely unintentional.
When I was a kid and the first Harry Potter movie was out, Voldemort drinking from the unicorn gave me nightmares, and I swore never to watch. It wasn't until the 4th movie came out that I fell in love with the series. And, I never read the books.
I swore to myself that I would never get into The Lord of the Rings. It just seemed so nerdy. But as my actor-face-recognizing horizon broadened, I realized that all these great names I loved were in these movies!!! Viggo Mortensen! Orlando Bloom! Elijah Wood! Sir Ian McKellen! Cate Blanchett! DANG IT! Now, I have to watch them! And, I loved them (like two years after the final film was released into theaters)... once I figured out that they were one continuous film in three parts. That was a surprise. I got to the end of The Fellowship of the Ring, and said, WTF?? What was that?
With Twilight, I was actually ahead of the times. I started reading the books right before the third one hit the shelves. By the time everyone had become obsessed and starting creating teams, I was over them.
The only crazy I haven't caught on is Star Trek... please, MAKE IT STOP!
But, now I've discovered another popular, cult-like television show that I swore I'd never watch. Lost! My latest actor obsession is Ian Somerhalder (as if you haven't noticed). And, he plays one of the main characters of the show... for now. I also have been curious about the show since I learned that Dominic Monaghan, an actor I love from The Lord of the Rings ironically enough, also has a prominent character.
I knew I wasn't going to like it. It was going to be too confusing; what would be the point? I'd just be lost, pun absolutely intended! But, it's completely different from what I'd expected! I feel bad now for the teasing I made against my fellow journalist Chase in high school. Now, that man was a true fan!! It was his favorite all-time show! I remember laughing when he said that it was good thing Lost was ending because he was going to college that fall. That cracked me up to no end!
So, here's why Lost is awesome (please forgive me for making general references to characters, I haven't learned all their names yet):
  1. Intelligence: Lost is incredibly intelligent! Each character brings something different to the table: a different characteristic, a different skill. There's no way these people can't survive on the island with all they have to offer.
  2. Being confused isn't as horrible as I thought it would be. I'm actually intensely curious about what's going to happen and what's causing trees to collapse like straws. 
  3. Ian Somerhalder and Dominic Monaghan! Amen!
  4. The Australian girl's accent is so cute! And, I'm interested to see what's going to happen when she has her baby.
  5. WHY IS THERE A POLAR BEAR ON THE ISLAND?
  6. WHO IS THIS FRENCH CHICK ON THE RADIO? I MUST FIND OUT!
  7. Convenience: all the episodes are on NetFlix
  8. More reasons to come... I'm only on episode 8 of season 1. I'm sure they'll be more reasons as the show progresses, and all the characters have been established. 

    No comments: