Wednesday, July 18

Humming

Recently, I installed a hummingbird feeder outside my new home!! I excited waited and waited impatiently for a hummingbird to arrive. After a few weeks, one finally did!! Then another! Then tonight, another! Three little green hummingbirds are watering themselves at my feeder. I couldn't be more thrilled.
After some Googling, I discovered that my new friends are ruby-throated hummingbirds. However, they have no ruby throats! Apparently, females and juvenile males do not have the infamous red color under their beaks. I will have to wait a few weeks to find out if they are girls or young boys.
Sadly, they will leave in September or October for their annual migration!! I'm happy to have them here for the summer.
Other reasons why hummingbirds are awesome:
  • THEY EAT MOSQUITOES!! THANK YOU, LORD!! I'm so excited to be able to walk outside again without being drained of all my blood. 
  • They can live up to 12 years.
  • They make a nonstop flight of 500 miles to the Gulf of Mexico every winter. 
  • They are only 7.50-9 centimeters long!
  • It has the largest heart in proportion to its body.

No comments: