Thursday, November 4

A Different Kind of Lullaby

It’s 5 a.m. Once again, I’m awake at a horribly early hour because Morgan’s been sick, sick, sick! It used to be an all night thing where he’d cough and hack and sniff and snort and wheeze. Now it’s limited to one-two hours in the early morning. I’d feel bad for him if I didn’t know that I’m soon to come down with the same thing, haha! No, I do feel sorry for him. The boy goes into work usually around this time and is dead on his feet from being just so sick and lack of sleep.
 Today, we tried a medical cure: Mucinex. You know that obnoxious commercial with the animated “cough” that’s moved into someone’s lungs? Yep, that’s Mucinex. And it’s supposed to work really well. I don’t know if the gigantic, uncoated pill that nearly made Morgan vomit everywhere actually worked… but boy was M in a good mood! Lordy Lou, that boy was high for at least two hours. It was nerve-wracking but hilarious at the same time to see him that way. There was a goofy, lop-sided grin that couldn’t be wiped from his face no matter how hard he was coughing.
I used to be quite snobbish about my sleep. When Anne was born, I was a teenager on the cusp of enjoying extremely late nights with sugary snacks and long mornings wrapped up in my comforter. Well, that was a destroyed dream as a newborn was introduced to the family, and if ever she woke me up at an hour I deemed was unreasonable, I would cry myself back to sleep in bed from disappointment, anger, and pure exhaustion from having already been awoken by her crying multiple times before that night. Going to college, I didn’t let anyone ruin my sleep. …Except for the fact that I lived in a freshmen dorm where the newly found freedom of my suite and hallmates was too much for them so they were prone to whoop and holler along the hallway all night long. Throw in an uncomfortable mattress and no air conditioning during the months of August, early September, April, and May, and I still wasn’t getting any sleep. My beautiful apartment dropped out of the sky and I have been sleeping like a rock for the betterment of three months.
Then, Morgan showed up and before our long separation over Fall Break, I asked if he would stay the night with me. It was one of the longest nights of my life, tossing and turning in a tiny twin bed that hardly fits my long, gangly legs and arms. My feet fall off the end and sharing with 9 lb. Sparta is already difficult. Another human being is just an outrageous thought! But we did it anyway. And we continued to do it. And I became used to it. But when I left for Kentucky last week, I was placed in a luxurious hotel with a huge queen-sized bed all to myself. And I immediately grew out of sharing a bed. Apparently, I wasn’t as used to it as I thought I was! And now Morgan is sick and I’m lucky to get five hours of straight sleep.
My snobbish ways, however, have vanished. Morgan has changed that whole side of me so where before I would have grumbled and bitched about being awake at 5 a.m. and now I use it to my advantage to write a blog post. I have extra play time with Sparta. I can get up and about to make a snack. I can make fun of infomercials on TV. I can Facebook like never before! And when I return to bed, there is an amazing guy waiting for me with open arms, coughing, but still good and happy to see me.
And he remembered our one-month anniversary is on Sunday!! Yes, I cried.
I should have been more patient when it came to Anne. I should have grown up and accepted it. She’s my family. But that was then and this is now, and I’m not going to act like a stuck-up little high schooler anymore (well, at least not about this!). Instead, I’m going to wrap up this post, save it to my computer as my Internet is currently not working so I can’t immediately post, turn off my computer, and jump back into bed with my snoring boyfriend. Maybe I’ll fall asleep. Maybe not. What will happen is I’ll be happy and that’s all that matters to me.
I’ll sleep in December, I tell him. Definitely in December.
"The Nighttime, Sniffling, Sneezing, Coughing, Aching, Have a Nice Coma, Medicine"

No comments: