Thursday, November 25

It's a Cliche to be Thankful

It's the first holiday where I'm not in Charlotte. I've never spent a holiday without my family.
On one hand, it's easier. There's less stress because I know I'll get along with Morgan's parents seeing as I've never met them before and we all walk around being polite to each other and saying things like "how did you sleep?" and "that's a lovely skirt you're wearing." It's been hard since my parents split during the holidays. Which parent are you going to spend it with? How many turkeys are you eventually going to end up eating because you have to celebrate in more than one place? There's a lot of stress! And lately, holidays haven't been going smoothly around the house because you're dealing with four girls in one household without any male supervision.
On the other hand, it saddened me for a week or so that I was missing out on my family Thanksgiving: watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in the morning with Anne and pointing out the giant Hello Kitty balloon, laughing at Ma scrambling around the kitchen like a headless turkey herself trying to make everything perfect, settling in for an after-dinner round of Rummy, Kings in a Corner, or Texas Hold 'Em, being the last person awake and dancing about the kitchen in my socks. It hurt I wasn't going to be there. At first, I wasn't going to be there at all, but Morgan and I worked out a plan that we'll be back in Charlotte for tomorrow. At least then we get the leftovers of Ma's turkey and side dishes.

Still, it'll be different. I'll be constantly enthralled with Morgan making sure he's not left out of the conversation and that none of my outspoken family has said something offensive or downright strange! What if he doesn't like my family? Or what if he has to witness some blowout fight when my and Ma's Scorpio stubbornness hits head-to-head? An even better question: Where are we going to sleep? My one and only bed is back home at apartment. That leaves a love seat too short for me and a couch the dog has made into a nest of nastiness with a pull-out mattress of unbelievable harsh springs! Ahh, too many questions!!
Since I have no answers to those questions, I guess this is the time when I tell you what I'm thankful for. But that's such a cliche! I can be thankful anytime I want. In fact, prepare for a blog post in December dedicated to everything I'm thankful for!!! Take that family-tradition-prayer-of-What-I'm-Thankful-For-around-the-dinner-table-before-eating-and-forgetting-what-everyone-was-thankful-for!!!! Aha! Oh if only my sociology professor had been here for that statement.
"Now, Lex, how does that relate to society's views of family?"
Professor, I still don't know!!
Anyway... this post is not about the issues I have with Professor Guinness who was a great teacher and then turned psycho!
This is about Thanksgiving. Though considering it's only 10:25 a.m. there's really not much Thanksgiving to write about yet. I'm mostly online because Morgan was cooking and he's not a great talker when he's cooking because he gets "in the zone" and all serious which is the same how I get with writing... which is why he, currently no longer cooking, is getting ignored in return.
So I'll guess I'll write again after more Thanksgiving has happened. The forecast predicts a slow, easy, relaxed day of walks with Morgan, turkey, snuggling on the couch, and more turkey! Now that's something to be thankful for!!
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!!

No comments: