Sunday, August 14

30. New Moon


Book 30: New Moon by Stephanie Meyer (A)
I always read this book when I’m depressed and overly upset. This is my third time reading this book and this time, I got through it in three days. I’ve had a lot of downtime without Stuart around as well as having no Internet. The first time I read this book was after returning to school for my sophomore year and dealing with being near The Viking again. Now, Stuart’s gone and I’m wishing that I had a Jacob Black.
You’d think that living with Joe and Anna would help the situation. And, it does… in a way. But they have each other and I’m just a third wheel, or that’s how I feel. They’re a pair and I’m just me. But anyway…
Edward, Jacob, and Bella
If you’ve been hiding under a rock for the past like 4 years, then New Moon is the second installment in the Twilight saga. Bella Swan returns with the love of her life Edward Cullen, who is also a vampire. When things go horribly awry at Bella’s birthday party thanks to Edward’s brother’s newly acquired habit of no longer drinking human blood, Edward decides it would be best if Bella didn’t have any contact with him or his family and lead a normal life. Unfortunately, due to the nature of how deeply Bella loves Edward, her life becomes a miserable pit of hell and spends her days trying to fight of the “aching hole in her chest.”
This is my favorite book in the series because it’s so raw. It’s none of the mushy love magical stuff from the first one. It’s none of the baby stuff from the fourth one. And, it’s not an Edward vs. Jacob match like the third one. While technically I’m on “Team Edward,” I still really enjoy New Moon because there’s no fairy tale… except when Jacob changes into a werewolf.
However, the reason it gets only a “A” is because I feel like Stephanie Meyer needs to find herself a thesaurus. It seems that she doesn’t know any synonyms for the following words:
  1. ·         “Hole”
  2. ·         “Chest”
  3. ·         “Shudder”
I think those words come up more than “Bella,” “Jacob,” and “Edward” combined! Read it again. I bet the book is going to be ruined for you now! Muhaha!
I like the Twilight series, the books and the movies, but I understand why people make fun of them so. If you see the movie and if you read the books, there’s a huge gap between the two in quality. The books are excellent. Not superb. I’m not going over the top for Meyer, who basically wrote a Romeo + Juliet with vampires and werewolves. Seriously… the second book? That comparison is right there in your face throughout the entire novel! And… the movies are good. Compared to the books, not so great. Standing alone, I think the movies are all right. They could be better, of course! We could have some better acting, but I think overall they do a good enough job of telling the story within two hours. It’s easy for people to get caught up in the books and then get really angry over the fact that the movies cut out a lot of their favorite parts. 
First off, stop picking insignificant favorite parts and then they’ll be in the movie! 
Secondly, it’s called an adaptation! Important word here… look up the definition because it’s not the same thing as “exactly the book.” Otherwise the Twilight films would have credits that read “EXACTLY LIKE THE NOVEL BY STEPHANIE MEYER” instead of “BASED OFF OF…” or “ADAPTED FROM A NOVEL BY STEPHANIE MEYER.” Understand? So relax, folks, when Breaking Dawn Part 1 comes out in November. It’s not going to be exactly like the book you pored over day after day. That’s why it’s a book! You’re supposed to spend time with it and enjoy it, really get into it. A movie is supposed to entertain temporarily. 

No comments: