Friday, October 8

Electrified

Some people believe happiness comes from giving.
Some people believe happiness comes from achieving your goals and gaining success and recognition.
Some believe believe happiness comes from doing something adventurous and new.
I believe in all these thoughts, but I'd like to add one more.
I believe you can achieve happiness by sitting and listening to others.
Last night I was in the arms of Morgan. We were talking quietly, getting to know each other, exploring each other's minds and making random comments after lounging on the love seat for an hour or so watching Super Troopers. Sparta was quietly playing on the floor. Everyone else in the apartment was tucked away in their rooms.
Without warning, my bathroom light blacked out.
"Huh, my light died!" I said.
Suddenly, there was a shout.
"POWER'S OUT!" called Cody and CC, heading into the hall. Kayla also hustled into the hall.
"There's a flashlight in the far kitchen drawer," I yelled from my room.
"Is this the Black Out?" asked Kayla.
"I thought that was last week," I answered. "That's this week?"
"Yeah," replied CC.
I turned to Morgan."Well!"
From my place in bed, I could see the bobbing beam of the flashlight in the hallway. Then, there was the Cinnamon aroma of Kayla's candles and the flickering shadows making figures on the walls. Other than that, only the street lamps across the highway visible through my window were the only other sources of light.
I haven't experienced a power outage for some time. The email two weeks ago said the outage would last until 8 a.m. We had eight hours to go... and it wasn't so bad. Yeah, I complained a bit at first because I'm afraid of the dark and I can't sleep without the sound of my fan, but then... it was nice. Kayla, CC, and Cody settled into the living room where their hushed voices about silly things and stories were a kind comfort as Morgan and I murmured to ourselves in my bedroom.The candle's aroma, which usually gives me a headache, wafting around the apartment.
Suddenly, it didn't matter that I had an 8 a.m. class in the morning. It didn't matter I couldn't get on the Internet or run my fan for the night or see my toothbrush unless by candlelight. It didn't matter my head had been pounding all day from the cold Morgan had shared. It didn't matter I had a paper due in eight hours. I knew I wasn't going to get to it. It was peaceful. It was quiet. It was one of those moments where you'd bet everything that the world had stopped spinning just for you. It was exactly what I needed after the past two weeks. Listening to Morgan, listening to my housemates in the living room, listening to Sparta's little pitter-patter, smelling the candle, watching the light bounce about in the hallway, snuggling warm in the dark... I was happy. And, I didn't have to do a thing.


No comments: