Tuesday, July 12

Lex's Secret Camping Trip Part 2

Right from the start, the trip started out wild. After loading up the car with a tent, tent stakes, boogie boards, inflating mattress pads, and various other instruments and tools I had never before taken on a trip, we set off in Little Honda across the Coastal Plains of North Carolina.
The night before, the surprise was ruined for Morgan by a third party when he found out we were going to the beach. I was devastated. I had worked so hard at trying to keep it a secret that I sobbed hysterically for quite some time before trying to put on a happy face. Thankfully, Morgan had no idea which beach we were going to. He was quite thrilled to find out halfway to the Outer Banks that that was our actual destination. We stopped at a small gas station/restaurant where we ate a cheap lunch then crossed several large bridges to the Outer Banks.
I momentarily got us lost in Nags Head then turned back around to head down the long stretch of solitary highway through the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. During some spots, you can clearly see the Atlantic Ocean on one side and some sound or the Oregon Inlet on the other as the spit of land is so narrow.
We weren't barely past Bodie Island Lighthouse when things got spooky! I knew it was going to rain as Weather.com had been reporting isolated thunderstorms for the entire length of our stay. What we saw though neither of us were prepared for!
As we headed down the highway, the sky blackened. It was like a thunderstorm brewing over the plains of Africa. Clouds as dark and sinister-looking as Satan's own cape of evil began churning overhead. Suddenly, a deluge of water came sloshing down from the sky. Morgan looked out the window on his side and pointed.
"What the hell is that?" I cried when I saw what had caught his eye. "My gosh, that's a funnel cloud."
It was like I was watching my television screen tuned in to the Weather Channel. About 20 to 30 yards away, the perfectly shaped funnel cloud was slowly drifting down to land. It was your stereotypical image from a Storm Watchers program. Simultaneously, I was scared out of my mind and amazed! If we weren't about to die from being unable to see five feet in front of us from the rain, I would have watched its continued descent, mesmorized.
However, I was driving and had to focus on the road.
"Find a radio station," I told Morgan. If there was actually about to be a tornado, I wanted someone who knew what they were talking about to tell me where it was going to land and what I needed to do.
Then without warning, the funnel cloud disappeared. It was as if Morgan and I had dreamed the same dream.
It was then I realized that the crazy happenstances that followed my mother around wherever she went weren't just hers. It was a gene thing. It had been passed on to me!

No comments: