Monday, July 18

Lex's Secret Camping Trip Part 3

Our first day went well. We swam in the Atlantic, that was at a nice temperature and had a ridiculous current pulling to the left. For dinner, I took Stuart to my favorite Outer Banks restaurant The New York Pizza Pub and Italian Grill. We shared a pizza and garlic knots!! It was DELICIOUS! If you're ever in the Outer Banks, that's my recommend. Afterwards, Stuart stopped at Logan's Ice Cream Parlor for some ridiculous flavor. The parlor is famous for their "Titanic" ice cream which is six scoops of whatever flavor with four toppings! If you eat it in one sitting, you get your picture on the wall!
Roanoke Island
Back at the tent, I was exhausted beyond belief! The majority of the day was a long drive, putting up the tent under the blazing sun, struggling with the rain cover (which turned out to be a privacy canvas and wasn't used for the rain at all!), and frolicking in the waves! By the time I had returned from the communal bath house, I collapsed on my mattress pad with my head nearly sticking out the tent door for just a breath of a breeze and immediately fell asleep. I only woke a few times during the night to see flashes of lightning streak across a cloudy night sky.
Poor Stuart, on the other hand, slept little. He tossed and turned all night. The tent was so stuffy he felt like was being suffocated. The next morning, he was miserable and grumpy from lack of sleep.
On the morning of our second and final day, the sky was filled with flat gray clouds. I awoke when the blinding sun, uncovered by clouds as luck would have it, crested the dunes and flooded our tent with God's Almighty blazing light. Less than two hours later, the sun's rays were gone and were replaced with a straight downpour of heavy rain.
At first, it was sweet. Stuart and I huddled together eating raw blueberry bagels and a plastic tub of pre-cut watermelon slices from Food Lion. Then, the tent started leaking!! At first it was just a small drip from the roof. Then, it was second drip. Then, it was a large puddle coming from the side seam near my suitcase. And then, it was Stuart, myself, and all of our belongings piled on top of the narrow mattress pads with the sheets draped across our laps to keep from getting wet!! If the rain had been much harder, our tent floor would have been a shallow lake or a deep puddle.
When a break in the clouds arrived, Stuart made a break for it in his yellow slicker and scurried about the car tossing our stuff in the trunk. He jumped back into the tent before the next onslaught of rain leaving my car door wide open........!!!!!

No comments: