Wednesday, November 30

48. Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats

Munkastrap
Book 48: Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T. S. Eliot (A)

I have been longing to read this book of poetry since I first saw the Webber musical CATS, which is based on this text. And it was everything I had hoped it would be!!
In the edition I picked up, Edward Gorey has beautiful, realistic black and white sketches of all of my favorite cats: Old Deuteronomy, Bustopher Jones, and Mr. Mistoffelees. Their stories are classic and sweet, little tales of a cat's comings and goings in bustling London.
My favorite was "The Song of the Jellicles," where Eliot describes what makes a 'jellicle' cat! His words are pieced together in a masterful way that brings life and character to these crazy creatures. It is the perfect little book for young and old alike. Even if you don't like poetry, this book is still for everyone! There's no way, unless you're an animal hater, that you can't laugh and fall in love with these up and coming practical cats!

No comments: