Wednesday, November 23

Finding a Winner

In preparation for my transferring back to Western, I traveled to Cullowhee last weekend to look at houses, apartments, and mobile homes for my new residence. It was stressful and frustrating: I had one weekend to do it in! This time, my criteria for housing was very different than my Greensboro home.
1. I was looking for one-bedroom and two-bedroom homes. Yes, I said two-bedrooms. And, not because Stuart has suddenly had a major change of heart and wants to come back to Cullowhee with me. Nope, I have a new roommate!! I know what you're thinking... "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?" I've been burned by roommates since I first attended college. My freshman dorm experience wasn't superb, probably because neither my roommate nor I had ever shared a room before, certainly not a room that small. Then, there was my Cullowhee apartment, which was strange but stressful many times. Then, there's my current home with a peeing cat and other issues.
Honestly when I first looked for places to live in Cullowhee again, I was strictly looking at studio layouts and one-bedroom apartments only. Then, something changed. My boss at The Western Carolinian newspaper, JC, decided that his one-hour commute to campus cost too much, and it was time for a change. Jokingly, I told him he should move in with me! He actually agreed, and the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea. Let's be honest... I'm not in the best health to live by myself! In fact, it'd be quite dangerous for me to live alone and off campus. Who would spoon feed me peanut butter if my blood sugar dropped? Who would be able to get me off the ground and into the house when my energy was zapped? I'm sure JC hasn't thought about these implications and may he never have to deal with them, but they are consequences of my life, consequences that I have to think about and put first whether I want to live with someone or not. I am excited to live with JC though. He and I have had two years of working experience together, and if you can't work together, you probably shouldn't live together. I have never had but minor issues with JC, and I've always been proud to be his employee and admired his work ethic. This weekend, we even had a trial roommate scenario as we shared a room on campus to sleep. His personality is relaxed where mine is high strung. He worries easily about the types of things that I typically sit back and relax about. I'm learning to see him not just as a boss but as a loyal friend. And best of all is that even though he's a guy, he has been Stuart-approved to live with!!
2. Everywhere we looked, the places were high up on a hill, slope, or the side of a mountain. That's what you get when you live in the mountains!! However, it was crucial that JC and I find somewhere close enough to campus, but also that wasn't so far up a mountain or ridiculous terrain that we couldn't get out for food or classes when it snowed a few inches! That's a major thing I never had to think about when looking for places in Greensboro. SNOW and ICE!! It's become a major concern, especially after the horrible winter in 2010-2011. I had to reschedule one of my exams, and the first week of classes for the spring 2011 semester were cancelled due to snow and that students couldn't get back from their homes because Balsalm Gap was closed. There were quite a few places we looked at that it just wouldn't have worked. The slightest possibility of ice, and our cars would have not only spun out but we would have pitched over the side of the mountain and crashed landed at the bottom after hitting every tree, rock, and shrub on the way down!!
January 2011, Cullowhee
3. As always, Sparta is an issue, but this time there's Nutmeg, too. Any place that would take too much money to heat - even if we didn't heat the place as well as we could to cut down costs - would have been too cold for the fragile body of a small hamster. Over the summer, she nearly died from hammie heatstroke when Stuart's air conditioner was broken. For me to pop open the cage lid and find a frozen Nutmeg inside would leave me scarred for life!! Many places in Cullowhee don't allow pets under any circumstances. JC and I passed up a lot of great places just because of Sparta. I don't believe Nutmeg would have been an issue since she's in a cage, but people are scared of what damage a pet can do. Even the apartment complex I lived in last time I was in Cullowhee - they no longer allow any pets! Cats can claw, pee, break window screens, and cause noise problems... and those are only the bad behaviors of Mac! Even though Sparta has lived in three rental places with no damage (if you don't count the flea fiasco, which I fixed!!!), it isn't enough. Pets are just not allowed in Cullowhee.
After a weekend of searching (an adventure that deserves a post of its own), JC and I believe we've found our place! The ironic thing about it is that we actually didn't find it the weekend I was up there! I haven't seen the place, but based on JC's descriptions and photos, I think it'll be perfect!!!
  • It's a good location to campus
  • It has special parking at the base of the mountain in case of snow and ice
  • It has large-ish bedrooms
  • The landlady seems nice, friendly, and not nearly as scary as some other people we met
  • It's the perfect price, and includes water, sewer, and trash pick-up
  • Sparta is only $75!!
WIN!

No comments: