Tuesday, March 8

Random Memory: Stranger that I Know

Over Spring Break, Morgan and his roommate from now on dubbed "Fox" needed to go to Crabtree Mall to visit the Time Warner Cable kiosk. I also needed to go because Mr. Mars, the bear Morgan had built at Build-a-Bear, was ripped at the seams on his leg. He needed a quick stitching, which Build-a-Bear provides for free to their bears. Together, we piled into the car and went through the streets of Raleigh.
I was wearing a cute blouse, big bug-like sunglasses Kate had picked out last summer, a short big & white skirt with brown high heels. I felt fabulous but also a bit out of place considering I was walking around looking very adult but carrying a teddy bear in my arms. I felt I was being stared at. What I didn't know was who was staring at me.
Morgan, Fox and I went our separate ways. I got Mr. Mars stitched up downstairs while Morgan and Fox stayed upstairs. To get downstairs, I had to descend a large curved stiarcase in the middle of the mall. Unbeknownst to me, Morgan was perched near the top of the stairwell at the kiosk. This is what he told me:
"I pretended you weren't my girlfriend and that I didn't know you - that I was just checking out a very hot girl walking down the stairs."
I was completely smitten by the thought.
****
This memory really strikes a cord with me, and I'm so happy that Morgan told me what was going on while my back was turned.
Morgan and I have now been dating five months without any "let's have some space" or "we're currently taking some time apart from each other" moments. Our relationship is strong, and our trust towards each other is deep. Except for what physical activity we have chosen and promised we won't do, there is not much new ground left to cover in our relationship. We moved fast because of knowing we'd be separated soon; we have reached the steady, relaxed lull of our relationship.
For me, I love it but I also miss a few things of October when we first got together. The butterfly wings tripping up in my stomach. The learning the feel and smell of this new person you're with. The staring in their eyes to memorize the color. The never-ceasing grin after he left for his place and wondering when he'd text you good night. The excitement and nervousness.
Then, Morgan goes and does something like, "I pretended I didn't know you." It was like a reset button.
Which brings me to this...
Many times, I have heard of people breaking up because they get tired of their significant other. Not because they fight hysterically or because they've changed so much they don't recognize the person anymore. Because they are tired of them, like an old toy from childhood or a song played too many times!! People are not things!!! You can't just ditch a human being and all he or she has invested into a relationship with you because it's "new" or "exciting" or anymore. No, you are the reason your relationship is boring. You're tired of you in the relationship!!!
The great part of that is that you can fix it. I'm not saying Morgan has become bored with me and used his "I pretended" technique to make himself interested in me again. I know for certain that that's not the case at all. And, it's not the case for me either. I like going to bed knowing that somone cares for me deeply in a way my parents don't. I like not being constantly on the look out for Mr. Right. I enjoy skipping my make up routine in the mornings because I don't care how I look! I have already snagged an amazing guy!!!
 But for those who feel their relationship is lacking and uninteresting, next time your girl or guy walks away from you... look at him or her like you've never met them before. See what happens!


No comments: