Wednesday, March 23

2. 20,000 Leagues under the Sea

Book 2: 20,000 under the Sea by Jules Verne, Great Illustrated Classics version (A)

The haunting story of Captain Nemo has been a favorite of mine for quite some time. Today, I reread the abridged classic throughout the stormy afternoon while Sparta quietly slept parallel to me on his ottoman.
I have always been enthralled by the ocean so an entire book dedicated to exploring and living in the sea is right up my alley. Unfortunately, the book has lost some of its magic since I last read it. Because of its adaptation style, the writing is "dumbed down" for children. It's the reason this book gets an "A" for a grade instead of an "A+." At the same time, I knew I'd probably never be able to plow through the original novel by Verne. It's why the Great Illustrated Classics series are so great; I can read classic novels but not suffer through them. I believe the only classic I can truly stand is Wuthering Heights, but I still have to be in the mood for it!
At the end of the book, Captain Nemo admits to Aronnax that he is a writing a book of his life. Could there be a sequel to 20,000 Leagues that is like the book Captain Nemo mentions?!?! Is there a book like that? I think that'd be even better than 20,000 Leagues because it wouldn't have Ned the harpooner whining about escaping and Aronnax gasping and marveling over everything. Honestly, man, get over yourself! You wrote an entire book on the wonders of the sea. You've researched all this. Now, shut your gaping mouth and just enjoy the scenery. Your never-ending questioning and badgering of Captain Nemo ticks me off!!!! ...Anyway.....
For those of you who can't make it through a page of Bronte, Austen, or any of the other classics, pick up a Great Illustrated Classics next time you're in Books-A-Million. You get to read a great book that everyone who plays Jeopardy is supposed to know about and you get a black-and-white illustration on every other page!! Fun, yeah?!

No comments: