Sunday, March 6

Distance Traveler's Girlfriend Part 2

I identify with this passage a lot, mostly because it is about Henry (that would be Morgan) teaching Clare how to cook for the times when he's gone (that would mostly definitely be me!!). But I also like it because of the last resounding statement at the end of the passage.

"CLARE: Henry holds up an onion and looks at me gravely and says, "This... is an onion."
I nod."Yes. I've read about them."
He raises one eyebrow."Very good. Now, to peel an onion, you take a sharp knife, lay the aforementioned onion sideways on a cutting board, and remove each end, like so. Then you can peel the onion, like so. Okay. Now slice it into cross-sections. If you're making onion rings, you just pull apart each slice, but if you're making soup or spaghetti sauce or something you dice it, like this..."
Henry has decided to teach me to cook. All the kitchen counters and cabinets are too high for him in his wheelchair. We sit at the kitchen table, surrounded by bowls and knives and cans of tomato sauce. Henry pushes the cutting board and knife across the table to me, and I stand up and awkwardly dice the onion. Henry watches patiently. "Okay, great. Now green peppers: you run the knife around here, then pull out the stem..."
We make marinara sauce, pesto, lasagna. Another day it's chocolate chip cookies, brownies,creme brulee. Alba is in Heaven. "More dessert," she begs. We poach eggs and salmon, make pizza from scratch. I have to admit that it's kind of fun. But I'm terrified the first night I cook dinner by myself. I'm standing in the kitchen surrounded by pots and pans, the asparagus is overcooked and I burn myself taking the monkfish out of the oven. I put everything on plates and bring it into the dining room where Henry and Alba are sitting in their places.Henry smiles,encouragingly. I sit down; Henry raises his glass of milk in the air: "To the new cook!" Alba clinks her cup against his, and we begin to eat. I sneak glances at Henry, eating. and as I'm eating, I realize that everything tastes fine.
"It's good, Mama!" Alba says, and Henry nods."It's terrific,Clare," Henry says, and we stare at each other and I think, Don't leave me."
--- Niffenegger, Audrey. The Time Traveler's Wife. Orlando: Harcourt, Inc, 2004. Print.


No comments: