Thursday, September 16

These Boots are Made for Showing Off

Yesterday morning started off with a bang... quite literally!
I opened up the fridge to get my milk for my breakfast cereal... and BOOM! One of CC's beers rolled out of the fridge and exploded at my feet, beer and glass everywhere! Already late, I now had to pick up glass bottle shards and mop up the golden liquid creeping across my tiled kitchen floor. The smell, as I've never found alcohol appealing, was horrifying and burned my nose.
"It's gonna be one of those days," I sighed to myself, out of paper towels and now finishing with napkins.
Afterwards, I decided it was a Boots Day.
Shoes have never been my speciality. In fact, one thing in this life I hate the most is going shoe shopping. I have these gigantic, bear-like feet that are too short for size 10 but too wide and long for size 9... it's a losing battle and I hate it! The shoes I do find that actually fit usually take an hour to discover in the very back of the store. A few years ago, my grandmother and I were shopping, and we found my first and only pair of leather boots. I wear them whenever I don't want to be invisible. In them, I am taller, stand elegantly, feel sexy (except for the pain in my feet), and you can't ignore me as I clip-clop down the hallway. Yesterday, I wore them and stomped my way around campus in a low cut blouse, dark wash jeans, and my amazing black leather boots!
And the day got better... probably not because of the boots, I realize that. Most likely because my attitude was better because I felt great. I did well on my first Communications test. A package arrived at the office. I had lunch with a cool group of people who keep me laughing. And, I got to volunteer at the animal shelter.
However, reality did bite back (again quite literally) as I was petting Cartman the cat. That cat swung around while I was scratching his spine and took a chunk out of my arm! It wasn't that it was too painful, but now I had to report him... which means he gets quarantined for ten days. The shelter keeps an eye on him to make sure he isn't rabid. The sad thing is Cartman was supposed to get adopted today!! And now he can't because he has to stay at the shelter for ten days! I feel just awful!!! Cartman is a beast of a cat... he looks like Mufasa from The Lion King, but he got excited and went too far. And unfortunately with a shelter cat, that's how things work.
I want to give a shout out to my Aunt C and Uncle D! The DVD player they graciously bought us here at the apartment arrived this morning, and I set it up all by myself! I was so pleased! And, I didn't cry or scream or throw things. The instructions for this model made it surprisingly simple. Now, I'm watching Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman in Australia which I bought at Wal-Mart yesterday. =)

Operation Sparta:
Status: Ongoing
Last night, I had a fright that Sparta wasn't going to be able to come to the apartment due to money troubles. It seems my parents want me to pay a fraction of the pet fee to show that I "am committed." I had thought previously my commitment lied in caring for the cat full time, buying cat food, cat litter, cleaning up after his messes, and all that once he got here. It didn't seem to occur to them that I was already losing money for buying cat groceries I hadn't normally been purchasing. But because I want one of my cats more than anything in the world - I've never lived without an animal in the house except for those horrible, horrible months in the dorm room where I suffered from depression and anxiety because I had nothing to love and look after except the few, brief hours I was able to manipulate my schedule to get up to the animal shelter - I gave him and decided to take the cut in my bank account hoping that it will eventually even out thanks to the raise at work. God bless my boss for believing in me and promoting me or else... well the whole "Operation Sparta" thing probably would have been a failed mission.

No comments: