Wednesday, September 8

You Better Sit Down for This

It started off as a crummy day. After tossing and turning all night with an achy stomach, I still wasn't feeling better by morning and literally dragged myself out of bed. The plan was to last as long as possible, and I did, only missing one class. I returned to the apartment, shoveled a PB&J sandwich down my throat, and crawled in bed for an hour-long nap. When I woke up, the world was a whole new place!
First, I received an email from my aunt and uncle down in Florida. They bought me a DVD player for the apartment and were sending additional cash as a house-warming present in the mail. I'm a person who typical goes without. I walk around with holes in my socks because I don't like spending money. I forbid MK for paying for my $2 McDonald's because I don't like people spending money on me. So when my aunt and uncle announced that the gift was on the way, I was completely taken by surprise and began to cry in front of my laptop because of their generosity. 
Only a few gifts have made me cry:
1. a check with many zeros from my grandparents for graduation, which I have saved so I may buy a house after college
2. Little Honda, my temperamental Honda Accord who is the very symbol of freedom for me and was a surprise birthday present
3. That email
So thank you, Aunt C and Uncle D! You made my day!
But then... Kayla announced she was making me dinner! Home-cooked meal?! SCORE!
But then... I went to sign paperwork for my news editor position and I saw the three figured salary, but something was wrong. The total was too much. Then, I saw that I was being paid that three-figured sum PER MONTH when previously I had misheard that I was being paid such per four-mouth SEMESTER! It was a good thing I was sitting down when I read that because I just about flipped out from surprise and sheer excitement! Immediately, I called up my boss to double check that this was correct, and he laughed at how excited I got.
But then... Cody was hanging around the apartment while Kayla made dinner and I was laughing until tears ran down my face at Kayla's reaction of typical Cody sayings I've been hearing for half a year now. Things like how he's had sex on the American flag and how he wonders if that's the most patriotic thing he's ever done or the most treasonous!
Kayla believes it's the most patriotic... after she asked the nationality of the girl he was with who was American.
But then... I made chocolaty, delicious chocolate pudding, a kiddie treat I haven't had for about a year! It was so delicious! I savored every bite!
But then... I watched Christian proceed to finish off the remaining chocolate pudding and spend about 20 minutes making sure he got every drop of pudding, which was quite entertaining though slightly annoying a the spoon scraped and scraped and scraped against the bowl! And then he began to lick the darn thing!
But then... I am sitting here on the love seat in my pajamas typing up a blog in my quiet apartment listening to "Skinny Love" by Bon Iver and the whirl of the dryer. Perhaps I will watch one of my favorite movies, tackle some homework, or just be until I head to bed. Tomorrow, I have lunch with Kayla, a meeting with last semester's English professor about my novel, and only one class with Professor Guinness! With all these great things happening today, it will be a good day tomorrow as well! I am truly blessed.

No comments: